Let me know what you thought of the book. I can’t wait to hear!
Friday, August 31, 2007
Let me know what you thought of the book. I can’t wait to hear!
Thursday, August 30, 2007
I've been irritated over the last few months by the Puget Sound Blood Center stalking me at home and at work with phone call after phone call to get me to go donate blood. I had a bad experience a couple of months ago where they couldn't get the needle into my arm after about a dozen painful tries. It soured me on giving blood. It was the first time I'd tried after years of not being able to (because of the risk of Mad Cow Disease from living in Switzerland in the late '80's). They finally lifted the ban and I thought I should go back to giving blood regularly.
Some of you know of my Uncle's accident. He is still in harborview but doing better. The first few weeks were so overwhelming for the family that they had to stop giving out any info. In fact, I had reporters calling me here in oregon because of a little blip I wrote on my blog, who new anyone read it, ha ha.
I just want to encourage everyone, not necessarily for his sake, just in general, to donate blood. Nathan has always been an avid blood donor, me I passed out once after giving blood so I haven't done it in a while, but an accident like this reminds us how important it is to donate blood if possible.
So-if you are able I encourage everyone to donate blood and help save a life. Nate worked at the Puget Sound Blood Center for a few years and really saw how short the supplies can get, they aren't joking when on the news they talk about being short of blood.
I used to give blood all the time and never had a problem. I guess it's time for me to bite the bullet and do it again. Hopefully you'll join me in the small act of service. It takes less than an hour and you can do it 6 times a year. Easy peasy! Will you go if I go?
Thursday, August 16, 2007
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
I think my favorite part of the concert was when Diana said that she was going to play a song by Cole Porter. There was mild applause, so she said "that's about the same reaction I got in high school. Everyone else was playing songs by ... Elvis Costello." She paused for effect, then said, "I got the last laugh." I thought it was pretty clever. (For those of you who don't know, she's been married to Elvis Costello since 2003 and they had twin boys last year.)
Her music was wonderful, as usual, and Sam put together an amazing dinner. The best part was this really intense apricot jelly that we ate on crackers with cheese. YU-U-UM!
It's finally feeling a little like summer in Seattle, but I know many of you have been sweltering for weeks now. If you need to feel cool, get a pack of Pep-O-mint lifesavers and make yourself a snowflake. Just go to Popular Front and make all the snowflakes you need to cool off your day. It's really fun! Just try it, and let me know if it was as fun for you as it was for me. You can also look at my snowflake by going to "find a flake" and searching on Lucy van Pelt in Seattle.
Friday, August 10, 2007
Thursday, August 09, 2007
Wednesday, August 08, 2007
Four jobs I’ve had:
1. Training Development Manager at a large software company in Redmond, WA
2. Technical Communications Consultant in Seattle, WA
3. High-School English and German teacher in Meridian and Eagle, ID
4. Building computer circuit boards and testing RAM at two companies in Boise, ID
Four places I have lived:
1. Seattle, WA
2. Boise, ID
3. Provo, UT
Four favorite T.V. Shows:
1. Gray’s Anatomy
2. Gilmore Girls (Wah! It’s over now.)
4. My Name is Earl – This is my favorite show to watch with the DH. We both laugh so hard.
Four favorite foods:
1. Bread, especially good hearty, crusty bread
3. Ice cream
4. My favorite meal is my mom’s homemade fried chicken, new potatoes and gravy, and corn on the cob. It’s the best late summer meal ever. And I mean EVER!
Four websites I visit:
1. My three personal e-mail websites (I know! I should only have one, but I don’t)
2. My favorite blogs (and there is a list of about a dozen, so I won’t call them all out here)
3. My online banking site
4. The Seattle traffic web site
Four places I would rather be right now:
1. In bed sleeping
2. In Friday Harbour with the DH celebrating our anniversary
3. Spending time with the extended family (with the DH included, of course)
4. On vacation just about anywhere
Four movies I love - I like a lot of movies, so here are some that we own:
1. A Room With a View
2. When Harry Met Sally
3. Sleepless in Seattle
4. Princess Bride
Four people I tag:
2. Penny Longstockings
4. The DH
Monday, August 06, 2007
4 things that should be removed from off the face of the earth:
1. Prostitution and pornography. I hate anything that exploits women, especially since it's usually women with very few choices in life.
2. Domestic abuse, especially child abuse. Perhaps it's because it's just so horrible.
3. War in Darfur. It's just wiping out an otherwise pleasant enough country.
4. AIDS. It horrifies me to see what the virus is doing to communities in Africa.
3 things people do that make you want to shake them violently:
1. Yell at or bellittle their children in public. I think there's a time to discipline your children, but it's rarely in a public place.
2. Gossip about people or situations that are speculative at best. I guess I don't like gossip even when it's spreading information that's true, but it's especially bad when it's speculative.
3. Act like jerks in traffic. I think traffic wouldn't be such a bad thing if everyone would play nice. I guess that applies to a lot of things in life though.
2 things you find yourself moaning about:
1. Work. And I have no place whining about it. I have a great job at a great company with great benefits and a great salary. I have NO EXCUSE. If you hear me complaining about work, tell me to knock it off.
2. Getting up in the morning. At least I have a good reason for this one. No one in their right mind should be getting up at 5:00 a.m.
1 thing the above answers tell you about yourself:
There are so many people in the world in situations that are much worse than mine that I really shouldn't be caught moaning at all. My life is really great! This makes me think I need to add one more thing to the meme that wasn't there before...
5 things that are great about my life
1. I have a wonderful husband who loves me A LOT.
2. I have an amazing family that supports me and has come to my rescue in many ways.
3. I have a great job that gives me lots of temporal blessings, like good food, a gym membership, a nice house to live in, plenty of heat in the winter, and all the other good things I have.
4. I live in a beautiful place. The pacific northwest has so much to offer and I've taken advantage of only a fraction of it.
5. I have amazing friends that I love and that enrich my life in ways that would take much more than a meme to describe.
So, I challenge myself and everyone else to quit yer moanin' and focus on the really great things we have. It would also be a good idea to see what you can do locally and globally to help get rid of some of that ugly stuff. But don't just moan about it. Do something.