Thursday, August 30, 2007

Do Something Nice -- Give Blood!

I just got this note from my friend Becky (written, incidently, only three days after having her fourth baby). She's referring to an accident involving her uncle that she wrote about on her blog last month.

Some of you know of my Uncle's accident. He is still in harborview but doing better. The first few weeks were so overwhelming for the family that they had to stop giving out any info. In fact, I had reporters calling me here in oregon because of a little blip I wrote on my blog, who new anyone read it, ha ha.

I just want to encourage everyone, not necessarily for his sake, just in general, to donate blood. Nathan has always been an avid blood donor, me I passed out once after giving blood so I haven't done it in a while, but an accident like this reminds us how important it is to donate blood if possible.

So-if you are able I encourage everyone to donate blood and help save a life. Nate worked at the Puget Sound Blood Center for a few years and really saw how short the supplies can get, they aren't joking when on the news they talk about being short of blood.

Becky !!

I've been irritated over the last few months by the Puget Sound Blood Center stalking me at home and at work with phone call after phone call to get me to go donate blood. I had a bad experience a couple of months ago where they couldn't get the needle into my arm after about a dozen painful tries. It soured me on giving blood. It was the first time I'd tried after years of not being able to (because of the risk of Mad Cow Disease from living in Switzerland in the late '80's). They finally lifted the ban and I thought I should go back to giving blood regularly.

I used to give blood all the time and never had a problem. I guess it's time for me to bite the bullet and do it again. Hopefully you'll join me in the small act of service. It takes less than an hour and you can do it 6 times a year. Easy peasy! Will you go if I go?

3 comments:

Becky said...

ok ok I will give it another try after I recover from this kid. I guess I should do what I preach right? You might laugh at this, but Nate and I have been talking about how much we miss it there. Hmm, hopefully someday we will be back.

Becky said...

And I get irritated too when they call all the time, they (it's the American Red Cross in Portland) even called us on wednesday while we were in the hospital (that's what happens when you only have cell phones).

PJMcD said...

I don't give blood. I think it's just a front for a group of lazy, yet very clever vampires.