Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Master Butcher's Singing Club

Well, I finally finished it. Last night, I read the final pages of The Master Butcher's Singing Club. It only took me since, what, October? I know, pa-the-TIC! It was a pretty good read, even if it did take me a long time. I'll blame it on changing jobs and added stress, but I think the book just didn't move along for me the way I would have liked.

The characters were all well-developed and I enjoyed the story. There's a nice little twist at the end too, in case you haven't read it. This isn't a spoiler, so don't worry, but it really didn't end as i expected.

One thing that I think many of you would appreciate is that all of the sex scenes are implied or alluded to, without any explicit descriptions. There is some homosexual love, but again, not described in any kind of lurid detail. The themes aren't for children (as in, I don't think anyone under 15 would be interested, not that it's too graphic or anything like that).

I also enjoyed the German references, but others might not enjoy those as much. Any time a foreign language is used in the book, it's not translated. Either you figure it our from the context, or you don't.

All in all, I think I would recommend it. Hopefully it wouldn't take you as long to read as it took me. Also, I'm happy to loan it out or give it to someone else who wants to read it. Just let me know. First come, first served!

2 comments:

Ice Cream said...

I would love to borrow it. Don't put me at the top of the list, though. I have 1 1/2 books to finish before I can borrow another one =)

PJMcD said...

I'm glad you're done with that book, cuz the cover is somewhat E P cray.