Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Fun With Food!

Last week, I got a bee in my bonnet about making something asian for our themed ward party. I saw a blog that showed the really great dessert sushi and I just had to make it! On Saturday, I bought all the ingredients, but then ran out of time before we had to go to the dinner, so I just took cashew chicken instead.

Since I had everything to make the sushi, I just had to do it. It was actually kind of fun to make and turned out pretty cute. The DH was even impressed (after thinking I was a bit crazy to want to do this).

The first bit of sushi in the middle of the picture was made by putting a slab of rice crispy treat about 10 inches by 2 inches on my silpat, then running gummy worms down the middle and rolling it lengthwise into a roll. I then wrapped that with fruit roll-up and then sliced it into pieces. After that, I put orange sugar on top to look like fish rowe.

The other sushi was made by making a little wad of rice crispy treat, putting a swedish fish on top and then slicing a bit of fruit roll up to make a little wrap.

To work with the rice crispy treat, I put on a surgical glove and sprayed the glove (especially the ends of the fingers and thumb) with PAM cooking spray. When I tried to work with the rice crispies without that, it was just a gooey mess that wouldn't stick together. I also appreciated the help of my able assistant Bop as it was a little tricky at times.

I really like the finished product! It turned out to be pretty cute and took about 20 minutes total in effort with one batch of rice crispy treats. That batch made about 30 pieces of the sushi roll and 20 of the fish pieces. I had to go to two stores to find green fruit roll-ups and that was probably the hardest part of getting it done. I highly recommend it for a time you want something a little different and creative for a treat.

4 comments:

Holly said...

They certainly were fun to make, and yummy too!

boisegrammy said...

Yea! Sushi I would finally like. You must make it sometime when you are visiting.

Dan said...

Holly brought me one to enjoy this past Tuesday. Yum-O!

Liz said...

That is hilarious! I was so confused looking at the picture. Tried to make sense of it for a few minutes before reading the post. A-ha! Very cute.