Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Beetlemania

Since the DH has been laid up with tummy incisions, we’ve watched a lot of movies and TV. He loves CSI and I think it’s a little too gross, but that’s part of our charm as a couple. One thing we’ve both loved is watching Beetles Anthology. I can’t rave about this enough. It’s eight 70-minute segments, so it took us a while to get through it, but I loved the whole thing.

Having grown up with only the aura of the Beetles and never experiencing the mania first-hand, it was very eye opening and fascinating to watch. I didn’t realize that the Christian right in the Southern US had Beetles record burnings after John Lennon’s offhand comment about someone telling him the Beetles with more popular than Jesus. It was also interesting that it didn’t mention the rift between the band and Yoko because Yoko had to approve all the video footage in order for them to use John’s image. I also got some great insight into how the Beetles revolutionized rock music in the 60’s. The pioneered things I just take for granted as part of rock and roll now.

The long and short of it is that I would give Beetles Anthology five stars and highly recommend it.

No comments: