Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Cops love me

So, I hate my commute, especially on the way home. I don't think that's much of a revelation to anyone. It's ugly out there. Yesterday was no exception. I left work at 4:15, but it was already packed and I found out later there had been an accident (that I never saw, but it was reportedly there). I was in a hurry to get to the traffic jam, so I went as fast as I could, weaving through traffic.

Then there were lights -- cop car lights. You know the feeling. There was the wee bit of hope that it was for someone else. There was the lump in the stomache. There was the resignation that I would get the ticket I have been deserving for years.

The police officer was quite nice and asked for my license, registration, and proof of insurance. I was having a hard time getting my proof of insurance card out of my wallet because it was stuck in the silly, flimsy plastic cover of my temple recommend. Plus, I was nervous, because I was about to get a ticket.

I finally gave the card to the police officer and he asked me how fast I had been going. I had no idea. I felt like an idiot. Then he asked me if that was my recommend. I was a little confused (assuming that no one in WA is LDS). He asked again if that was my recommend. I said it was and then he told me I was the third member he'd pulled over in the last two hours. He gave me back my information and sent me on my way.

I didn't get the ticket! Cops love me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I am ever pulled over, I will have to remember this trick : ) !! Thanks for the laugh ... and I am glad you didn't get a ticket.

annzy said...

I didn't think people really got out of tickets for having temple recommends ~it seams like he should have slammed you for knowing better. Plus I think there should be a no pullover rule for commuting.

Lucy van Pelt said...

When he said I was the third member he'd pulled over, I was sure I was getting a ticket. Plus, I've earned it (10x over). I guess I never told you about getting pulled over in exactly the same spot after leaving the brother's house on a Sunday afternoon and being clocked at 86 mph. I hope that cop doesn't read my blog.

Megan said...

That is so hysterical, and WRONG! I thought he was going to give you ticket because you should have known better too. Anyway, were you in or aroung Kirkland at the time? My bosses husband (who I work with a lot because he also keeps her books) is a Kirkland cop, and he always tells me about his boss who is a Mormon. Funny. I wonder if it was him.