Saturday, December 01, 2007

My Fingers Hurt, or Why I Don't Sew Much

Thursday night, while the DH was out home teaching, I thought I would sew the blanket that I started a month ago. All intentions were good. I got out the machine and the fabric that I had already trimmed and taped together. That wash-away tape is brilliant -- seriously!

So, I started sewing the free-form sewing and it all went horribly wrong. The tension on the machine is a little finicky in the first place, and using the darning foot (or whatever it's called) wasn't helping at all. After sewing for about 15 minutes, I gave up. There were wads of thread on one side, angles that didn't work for a baby blanket, and one frustrated sewer.

It took me two hours and three DVR shows to pick out all the sewing. I'm now looking for a plan B.

2 comments:

Orange said...

It is hard to free-form, especially if you're doing something other than 100% cotton. I'd at least switch to a walking foot if you have one, because the feed dogs could be up, it limits the shapes you can do though. I took a free form class and I'm still not very good at it. Tension can go wacko when your feed dogs are down.

Good luck!

Ice Cream said...

Bwahahaha, I'm so glad I'm not alone. I've had some not so nice conversations with my sewing machine.