Thursday, January 07, 2010

Not Yo Mama's Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The DH and I went to see Sherlock Holmes with friends on New Year's Eve. It was a great way to spend and evening and we both really liked the movie.

The movie was directed by Guy Ritchie. I haven't seen many of his movies, but he was the director of Snatch, which I thought was brilliant. Seriously, if you have not seen it, you must (but don't judge me for loving it if you hate it). Guy Richie likes the over-saturated, kinetic film style and it's a style that I like, so it works for me.

Sherlock Holmes is definitely in Guy Ritchie's style. It has the perfect look for industrial 19th-century London and the effects with slow-motion really worked for me. However, if you want to see a movie that closely resembles any of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes mystery novels, you will be disappointed. This movie is about action and style. Robert Downy, Jr. is great at both, plus he looks pretty good in the process. I also enjoyed Jude Law as the more proper Dr. Watson. The two had great chemistry and played their roles very well.

If you're interested in an action-packed version of the detective, this movie is for you.

2 comments:

Gage said...

I quite liked the show, but yes it was the action mystery that the good Sir Conan Doyle never wrote it to be many years ago. The wife and I thought it was a bit dark, but that I'm sure was an effort to capture the feel of 19th century London.

boisegrammy said...

I liked it better than your Dad. I loved the look of 19th century London and the costuming.