Monday, April 23, 2007

Choosing Between Good and Good

When I was a little kid, I remember hearing lessons in Sunday school about making choices. At the time, I was told that there was always a good and a bad choice and I had to make the good choice. Bad choices have consequences that I might not like, so I shouldn’t choose those. Well, now that I’m a little older, I realize that it’s not that simple. Far too often, I’m faced with choosing between two good things. And I don’t mean choosing between Peanut Butter Fudge and Pralines ‘n’ Cream at Baskin Robbins. I mean having to make hard choices about who I disappoint this time because I need to be in two good places at once.

I’ll be the first to admit that sometimes when I have to choose between being in one of two places, it’s because I double-booked and it’s really my fault and the bad choice was not looking at the calendar in the first place. I could write an entire blog about how I do that way too often. That’s not really what I’m talking about here though.

This week I am faced with the choice between two good things. I committed to going to a visiting teaching workshop at church on Tuesday evening. I even signed up to bring a veggie platter. Yesterday, the DH found out that our ward had an assignment at the temple on the very same evening. The DH is responsible for making sure that three couples are able to meet the obligation. That’s no easy task when there’s a visiting teaching workshop the same evening that most of the women are attending.

So, it looks like I get to choose between fulfilling a temple assignment or attending a visiting teaching workshop. They’re both really good things. Of course, when it comes to priorities, I have to go with the DH. Even though I don’t think the temple is necessarily the better choice, it is the place that my husband wants me to be. For now, that trumps everything else, so that’s how I’m making my decision. Perhaps the blog entry should be about prioritizing. It usually does come down to that.

3 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

I know you will be their in spirit :)!! I think spending the evening with your DH is where you need to be.

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't knock the importance of choosing your ice cream flavor!

What on earth was someone thinking by scheduling those two events on the same night? I think choosing the temple is the better one simply because you are such a magnetic personality and I'm sure it will help encourage these said people to go if you are going too. While workshops and refreshments are fun and wonderful, the temple and "bringing souls" unto Him is the real purpose we are here anyway.

Have a great night!

LizzyP said...

What a great thing to have a life so full of choices. I mean, did you know there are actually places on this planet where Baskin Robbins doesn't service the public, and in those places 31 flavors of ice cream is unthinkable? But seriously, what a great thing to have so many opportunities to serve. I completely understand how a calendar could get double-booked with these sorts of things. Enjoy.