Tuesday, September 04, 2007

the DH and I had a great weekend last week, celebrating our anniversary.

The first thing we did was take a ferry over to the peninsula and drive to Port Townsend. We rented a little cottage on one end of town and spent the night there after having a lovely dinner at Fins and watching the DH complete his Fantasy Football draft.
The next day, we went to church with the Port Townsend ward in Chimicum and then roamed around Port Townsend. We enjoyed our short stay there, then headed to Quilcene for the Olympic Music Festival. We heard three classical music chamber pieces as we sat in a really old barn on a bale of hay. Good times.

After the concert, we headed to the ferry in Port Townsend to head North. Then we drove to Anecortes and got on another ferry. Of course, we had an hour and a half to wait, so we walked up the road to a restaurant called Charlie's and had some of the best clam chowder I've ever eaten. It reminded me of my mom's potato soup with some yummy clams thrown in. I think my dad might even like that clam chowder and he's no fan of the clams.

We hopped the ferry in Anacortes and landed in Friday Harbor on San Juan island. It was late, so we went straight to our bed and breakfast where we spent twenty minutes trying to figure out which room was ours. We'll chalk that one up to just being a bit tired. When we got to the room, we enjoyed the private deck and hot tub. It was a beautiful starry night and perfect for soaking a while.

The next day, we had a wonderful breakfast at the B&B and then went and rented mopeds at Susie's Mopeds. After my ten-minute lesson, we were off. I LOVED IT! It was such fun. The only down side was that we couldn't chat while we were traveling.
We stopped at a few sites and enjoyed the fresh air and wind in our hair. I even got a little sun, which surprised me. I never seem to look like I got sun since moving to Seattle.
Our last stop with the mopeds before turning back to Friday Harbor was a lavendar farm. It was
wonderful. We walked out into the lavendar fields and the scent wafted over us and all we could hear was the hum of the hundreds of bees in the lavendar. I could have enjoyed that for hours. We also stopped at the gift shop to buy a bit of sugar-free lavendar shortbread (YUM!) and for the DH to get a recommendation for a place to fish. He's always thinking about fishing and this trip was no exception.
The woman in the lavendar shop told us to check out Egg Lake. We went there and enjoyed an hour or so of fishing. The DH caught two fish, but they were so small you could barely see them. He had to throw both of them back. No delicious bass for me that trip. Oh, well.
The next morning, the DH tried his hand at the fishing again, but absolutely no bites on the second try. Those are some wiley fish and they just didn't want to get caught.
After the DH gave up on fishing, we drove out to Roche Harbor at the opposite end of the island from Friday Harbor. It's a quaint little tourist town and we enjoyed the few sights and shops they had to offer.
From there, we headed the rest of the way around the island and stopped for some whale watching. We saw a few whales and also walked out near the lighthouse. The views were lovely and we definitely felt like we saw everything there was to see on the island and a little ways off shore, too.
Then it was back to the ferry to Anecortes and a quick drive home and we were back to reality. We would highly recommend the island to anyone who wants to get away, but we think we would stay in a place outside of Friday Harbor next time. The town is really small and quite bustling in the mornings, so you definitely felt like you got a wake up call in the morning.

1 comment:

Penny Longstockings said...

Wow! That sounds like a ton of fun. I've always wanted to try a moped. I was proud that we made it to the temple AND out to dinner for ours! :)