Tuesday, November 06, 2007

New Projects

It's that time again. We're getting close to the holidays, so I think I need to do some projects. I have a few that I can't show on the blog right now. (Who knows, one of those might be for you!) This is the one I can show.

On Saturday, I went to the fabric store and bought some minky and some cotton fabric, then found matching seam binding and thread. I'm going to try my hand at making a minky baby blanket that's a bit different from what I've done before. This one will have the cotton on one side, the minky on the other, and then be machine quilted in a free form, so it should be super easy.

It would be super easy for my Mom. Or Annzy. Or the SIL. Or the other SIL. Not so much for me.

Last night I was on a roll. I used this great Wonder Tape to stick the fabric together so it's easier to sew and doesn't shift. Then I got out the sewing machine. I changed the presser foot to the darning foot. I made a bobbin on my first try. I was on a roll. I even had a scrap to practice the free form quilting on. That's where it all went wrong. Somehow I didn't insert the bobbin correctly. On the first stitch, the needle got stuck down in the works. I couldn't get it to move. It broke the needle. I have visions of completely ruining the machine. Oh, my! I was trying not to completely loose it as I couldn't get the needle to move up or down and it just kept getting more stuck.

Finally, I got it to move and got the broken needle parts out. Then I replaced the needle (score another for me on the sewing machine!) and the bobbin and tried sewing on the scrap again. This time, it worked just fine. I decided that I hadn't gotten the bobbin seated just so in its little cage and that caused the problem.

Of course, by the time I had it all set up and ready to go I just didn't have the energy to try to do it for real. Stay tuned. Hopefully I have a very quick story to tell about how it all worked so easy by the time I'm done.

2 comments:

annzy said...

So I am guessing the blanket isn't for me~ Oh i love this time of year and guessing what i am going to get for Christmas ~this is so much fun.

Ice Cream said...

Ha ha ha, you sound like me. One problem with the evil sewing machine and I am done for the day. I just figure that if the sewing maching cooperates then the project was meant to be.