Sunday, December 14, 2008

A First

It's a beautiful day in Seattle today. We have an inch of snow that fell overnight. It started after about 9:00 last night and kept on for a good part of the night. The snow cover makes everything look clean and pretty. It's especially nice with all the Christmas lights on the trees and houses peaking out of the snow.

It's the first snow of the season for us, but not the "first" that I'm really blogging about this morning. In over 40 years of living in the intermountain west, I have never seen church cancelled. Today, no church! We got a call about 6:30 this morning to tell the DH that his early meeting was cancelled and asking him to call a few other families to let thme know that church would be cancelled as well. So, the DH and I will enjoy the morning at home in our nice warm living room that's all decked for the holidays now.

8 comments:

Lefty said...

It was so nice to wake up to Geoff, who had already shoveled all the side walks in our complex, telling me church is cancelled and he is going to church to hang out and tell people who weren't contacted to go home. He said two things may have happened: 1. we have awesome communication through our ward and all but five got the message, or 2. everybody (but 5) decided to stay home. I hope you enjoyed a quiet morning and are having a good afternoon with your DH.

Anonymous said...

When did Seattle become part of the intermountain West?

Lucy van Pelt said...

Seattle isn't the intermountain west, but I spent most of my life in the Utah and Idaho -- where they never cancel church, no matter how much snow fell overnight.

boisegrammy said...

I remember church being canceled in Chicago and your Dad, being in the Elders quorum presidency, had the assignment of going to the church to tell those that hadn't gotten the message to go back home. He said that most of the ward showed up. We thought it was not the best decision made by those in authority.

Ice Cream said...

I made sure to tell my kids that in most areas around the world church is not canceled because of an inch of snow. I don't want them to get the wrong idea if we ever move. =)

It was actually a pleasant experience to have a whole day of relaxation.

Dan said...

I only remember it being cancelled once in Utah growing up. It was a complete blizzard, frigid temps. The only reason it was cancelled was that the piped broke in the sacrament prep room, right off the chapel and flooded the chapel. Holly and I gladly enjoyed our day off at home.

PJMcD said...

Just another example of how well the Lord takes care of our needz. I needed the day off having played raquetball the day before. The last time I'd played was easily 30 years ago and I was soooo sore that it hurt to smile.

Unknown said...

I remember our last winter in Seattle (2004) church was canceled because of the snow- the roads were too bad and icy. That was the only time in my life I had ever seen church canceled.