Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fun, Food, and Friends

On Friday, we got together with a few friends for a tapas party. We were requested to bring tapas to share with the group, so I had to put my thinking cap on. I don't really know anything about Spanish food, so I went online and looked around. Tapas is either really simple (like bruschetta) or really complicated. Because the party was on a Friday evening, I simply couldn't do complicated. I finally decided to make up my own recipe for empanadas and hope for the best. They ended up being really good! So, because I love you, I'll share my recipe.

Easy Empanadas
1 rotisserie chicken (I like the ones from Costco the best)
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 package taco seasoning
2 packages of prepared pie dough

Debone chicken and put in a large frying pan with tomatoes and seasoning. Simmer on low for 20-30 minutes so the flavors can mingle. Using a large round cookie cutter, cut circles from the pie dough. Dab water around the edge of the dough circle, place a spoonful of chicken mixture in the middle, and fold over to make a turnover. Crimp the edges if desired. You can also mix one egg with 3 T water and brush over the dough to make them shinier.

Bake for 14-16 minutes at 350 degrees or until lightly browned.

Serve with cilantro cream sauce.

Cilantro Cream Sauce
In a blender, mix one large tub of sour cream with one large bunch of cilantro. Add the juice of one lime and salt to taste.

1 comment:

Layla said...

These were so awesome! Thanks for sharing the recipe!