Tuesday, June 05, 2007

My Online Book Club

I think I've finally decided on a format for my online book club. I'm going to plan on a book a month with book announcements two months out on the 1st, a reminder of which book we’re reading on the 1st of the month in which we are reading the book, and discussions starting on the 1st for the book selection from the previous month. Hopefully I haven’t completely confused you yet.

I would also like to look at a variety of literary styles and forms, so it won’t just be fiction loved by Lucy. I’m trying on new books and hope you like it. I’m reading books I haven’t read before, so there may be some we love and some we hate. What the heck. It will be fun!
This month is a little off since I didn’t already announce the book to read for June, be here we go anyway (a few days tardy already).

The book for June is The Painted Veil, by W. Somerset Maugham.
The great Maugham here offers the 1925 story of Kitty Fane, an adulterous wife forced to take a hard look at her own life after her husband takes her to where there is a cholera epidemic. The things she thought important suddenly don't seem so. Copyright 2004 Reed Business Information.

The book for July is Your Money and Your Man, by Michelle Singletary
Here at last is the lowdown on how to manage your finances with the man in your life. Money is the #1 problem couples fight about, says beloved Washington Post financial columnist Michelle Singletary. Acknowledging that most fights about money are usually about something else-like feelings of fear or resentment-Singletary stresses the value of open dialogue. In her trademark no-holds-barred style, she shows us how to handle the entire range of financial issues couples face-from splitting the dinner bill when dating to planning for retirement together after years of marriage.

I'm looking forward to having a great online discussion about The Painted Veil starting on July 1st.

P.S. Let's make it even more fun by having a contest. Help me name the new online book club. I'll ask 2 non-partial judges to determine the winner and send a copy of The Painted Veil or Your Money and Your Man (winner's choice) to the winner of the contest. All submissions must be logged in comments to this post on or before midnight (PST) Thursday, June 7th with judging on Friday the 8th.

5 comments:

Becky said...

The Painted Veil must be a good book, I went to reserve it at my local library and I am #13 on the list. Hopefully the other 12 are fast readers. I am looking forward to reading some new books, actually reading any book.

An Ordinary Mom said...

Lucy's Eclectic Literature Club

Ice Cream said...

Yay! I have been waiting for this to start.
how about:
Blogging Belletrists

(if it were my club I'd call it Brainy Babes, but that is just irreverant me)

Orange said...

Between the lines online

LizzyP said...

I know, I know, I'm late submitting this, but maybe there was an extension to the deadline you didn't mention.

Phinney Bibliophilia
Bucherfreunde (Book lover
Leser und Denker (readers & thinkers)

(I can't rememeber if you speak German or French, but I think German Am I right?)

It might be hard for me to pull myself together for another June book--I've already committed myself to two AND a summer book for our ward--but I'd love the discussion with you. I always want to be in your club!