Monday, May 14, 2007

I Love Miracle Whip

I made cake yesterday because it was my turn to bring cake for the birthday at work. I only had two eggs and the most basic of ingredients, but I did have a jar of Miracle Whip. That's why I ended up making Miracle Whip cake. The recipe is a family recipe from my Mom's family. I have no idea how far back it goes, but those ladies in Malad, ID sure knew how to make a tasty cake. It was a hit at work. I made two rounds and put cream cheese frosting in between the layers and chocolate ganache frosting on top. YUM! It was also super easy and a great cake to make from scratch. Here's the recipe for all of you dieing to make Miracle Whip cake. And trust me, it tastes a lot better than it sounds.

1 cup sugar
1 cup Miracle Whip
¼ cup cocoa
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons soda
1 tablespoon vanilla

Combine sugar, Miracle Whip, cocoa, and salt. Add 1 cup hot water. Add flour, soda, and vanilla, and blend lightly. Bake 35 minutes at 350°.

Chocolate Ganache Frosting
1 cup sugar
5 tablespoons butter or margarine
⅓ cup milk
1 cup chocolate chips

Combine sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips. Stir until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. It will be quite runny. Refrigerate until cool and of a thicker, spreading consistency. Check every 15 minutes or so and stir. If it gets too stiff, heat it briefly to make it spreadable.

5 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

Darn you and your cake posting! That looks yummy, sometime in the near future I will have to try it. Can you use light mayo instead of Miracle Whip?

Lucy van Pelt said...

I made it with Miracle Whip Light, so doing the low cal thing didn't effect the tast or the great texture. I don't buy Mayo, so I don't know how it would be with that. I'm strictly a Miracle Whip girl. :)

Ice Cream said...

I've always wanted to try this, just because it sounds so funny. I don't eat Miracle Whip, but I have read of mayo cakes too. I will have to try it for chocolate muffins. i like the cream cheese frosting idea. MMMMMMMM

I also want to try tomato juice cake.

P.S. I tagged you for a 7 random things meme.

Orange said...

It just makes me cringe when things like cake call for things like Miracle Whip, but they always turn out good, yours looks yummy!

annzy said...

I remember sending you Miracle Whip on you mission ~some kids miss peanut butter ~not you.